Monday, March 30, 2015

Readings of Week 12-13 Articles

Part 1:

I know that online classes, are individual learning plan for each student, it requires for cooperation from the parents especially in the lower grades. This program is great, because it teaches students right where they are, in addition the instructor differentiate his instructions to help achieve his students' potential in all of their courses according to their academic levels.  



The trend to of teaching “K-12 online learning” is expanding everywhere. I have heard about virtual and cyber schooling, but I never practice it myself or been exposed to some who is a part of this program. I do not know the exact details about the programs or platforms they are using, I think that these courses might be using the Blackboard, Moodle, Google classrooms or any other program that is designed by the school or district. I know that the online k-12 program is progressing continuously, I think the flexibility of the program allows variety of different kind of students to enroll.

Part 2:
                                                          Online Learning K-12

I got surprised when I learned that 53 million students were enrolled in public or private K-12 schools in the U.S in 2004. I never expostulated that the virtual school has begun as an independent-study high-school movement in 1920s. Video based distance education also has a long history. The first education television broadcast in 1933. I was right that on-line learning enrollments is a growing part of the K-12 distance education. I knew that virtual schools are a separate delivery system from traditional education. I never knew that online courses are for gifted and talented students only. I knew that virtual schools are about curriculum and instruction not about using technology, medium is utilized to strengthen instruction. I never heard that online courses represent an “add-on” to already burdened school systems and teachers, but I know that online education does not represent an “add-on.” It does represent an opportunity take advantage of online resources.

It is interesting to know that online charter schools and district-run online schools fall under the state accountability system and receive performance grades based on the state. It make sense that accountability system are not designed to measure online schools, because they have high rates of student mobility, meanwhile state accountability systems are meant to measure and report on how well schools are serving students, in ways that can be understood by policymakers, parents, students, and other stakeholders.

                            What is K12 Online Learning? Online Schools For Students Everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. Evaluation of online learning is so impressive. Looking at education and technology changes in just a short amount of time, it makes me excited to see what the future will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Mallory, quality online course initiative rubric and checklist, I found this very beneficial link about "7 Assessment Challenges of Moving Your Course Online (and a Dozen+ Solutions) - See more at: http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/online-education/7-assessment-challenges-of-moving-your-course-online-solutions/#sthash.AYmeB9bL.tIqvhmgc.dpuf

      Delete
  2. I think it is interesting too that online charter schools and district-run online schools fall under the state accountability system and receive performance grades based on the state. I was not aware of this accountability system. It does seem odd to me that online schools do not fall under the same state accountability system. Why do they not all have the same accountability system?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Judith, I have had the same concern in mind. Since I am from Texas, I checked (TEA) Texas Education Agency and I have not seen any indication to on-line schools rating accountability.
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2013/index.html

    The state accountability system assigns ratings to every campus and district in the Texas public education system each year. Learning 20 hours of online courses is not a requirement in Texas Education yet, but I noticed that districts are adding new schools based on technology, however all classes still on campus 100%

    ReplyDelete